Fiction Writing and Literary Analysis

Friday, September 14, 2012

Homework Due 9/19-9/21

1. Send me your Portfolio link by Friday, 9/14 at 3pm.  If you hear back from me that I cannot read your page due to privacy settings, please fix that and re-send it to me.  If you do not hear from me, that means that your blog is ready to go!

Due by Sunday, 9/16 at 8pm:

2. Journal #1 (2 Lies and 1 Truth: Learning to Lie):  Please make sure that your entries are detailed.  Do not just list a sentence.  Each entry should be about 4-5 sentences.

3. Journal #2 (List of Things: 10 Categories, 10 Lists and 10 paragraphs).
Here are the categories I gave you in class:
Things that:
***Make me angry.
***I wish had never been said.
***I dream about.

You must create 7 more categories of your own.
For each category, you must make a list underneath it.

For example (this is the one I had on the board in class):
Things that I am afraid of:
-Spiders
-Death
-Heights
-Failure to accomplish my dreams
-Guns

Then, you pick one of the mentioned items, and you write a memory...a vivid memory full of details:
This is an excerpt that I wrote: Smack!
The child lifted her left hand and brought it down upon the fury tarantula which clung to my arm.  My breath quickened and sweat began to drip from my brow as the hot Cambodian sun beat down.
"No, no, ma'am," the child said.  "It's okay; it's a bad spider!"

When you are finished with this assignment, you will have 10 categories with 10 lists and 10 paragraphs.  All are expected to be true.

Please bring one category and one paragraph to share with the class for next week.

Due 9/19-9/21  (There are no classes on Monday 91/7,  and Tuesday 9/18!  Also, Section 6 will not meet next Wed from 10-11. Hunter College is closed!):

Read "American History" (I will send this to you on Google Documents) and take notes on what affects you. What can you relate to in this story? What fiction writing elements are found within this story? Why does this story take place during a public crisis? What elements of symbolism are found within this story?
***Remember, the questions I give you are merely meant as a guide. I will not collect them.

It will take me some time to grade the work on your Portfolio. I grade it using the guidelines that we went over in class, so expect to see a content grade and a grammar grade, which will add up to a grade out of 10.